Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Louder!

Until recently we had a Canon XL-1 in the shop, a real workhorse that had served us well over the years, paying for itself many times over. A couple of years ago we added a Panasonic DVX-100 to the tool box, and the XL-1 hardly got used anymore, and sat sadly in the back of the warehouse in our own little island of misfit toys. So, eventually it went off to eBay, where hopefully it has found a new home with people who love it. Sniff...

Ahem. At any rate, one thing that bugged me about the XL-1 was that the headphone audio level was never loud enough. The built-in amp just didn't have enough oomph (to use the technical term) to really crank the audio.

What do do? Well, there are a bunch of little headphone amps out there, but my personal favorite is the CMOY amp. You can build one yourself if you're handy with the soldering iron, or, if you're like me and you still have burn scars on your hands from early attempts at being handy with a soldering iron, there of plenty of them available for sale on eBay.

I bought one from this gentleman, and it's a really nice unit. Makes a huge difference, and when I'm not using on shoots I use it between my iPhone and my car stereo for some additional punch. The folks at JDS Labs have excellent customer service, and the unit it very well built.

And hey, what could be more fun than an amp built into an Altoids tin?

Support PixelCadabra Via Our Amazon Main Page


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: