Monday, April 7, 2008

Finding Your Zone

Dan Benjamin from the Hivelogic blog writes a really insightful article on the need for a proper workspace for creative people. He makes some really good points.

Most people who create things will enter a state of mind where the activity of producing something, the act of creating, become effortless (or at least easier). Writers often describe the sensation of their hands flying across the keyboard, words coming out without pause or difficulty, the message clarifying before them on the page (or screen). Artists often describe a similar sensation, as if their brush was being guided by their subconscious mind. And although many people think of software development as a kind of science, there is a great deal of creativity involved in writing code, and it works the very same way.
The rest of the article is here.

I have a friend who's a big fan of coworking, and Dan's post outlines many of the reasons I resist it. For the type of work I do, creative work that often involves deep, thoughtful problem solving, the idea of going to a Starbucks, a loud environment with lousy lighting, uncomfortable chairs, small tables...well it's just not that attractive to me. Not to mention the fact that reducing my workspace from two 24" monitors down to my laptop screen puts a huge damper on my productivity. It's nice to get out and meet people, to bounce ideas off of them, and I can see the value in that, but I have people here in the office I can hit up for suggestions, as well as a really strong online community, too. (I also happen to have no taste for coffee. Every few years I try it, tempted my the smell, and am reminded why I continue to prefer my caffeine delivered cold.)

Maybe I'd feel differently if I worked out of my home. Maybe I'd feel differently if I didn't attend nearly every freakin' charity event in town, along with weekly Rotary meetings, networking events, user group meetings, PTA events, happy hours, etc. No, in my local community I have no feelings of being disconnected.

Which is nice.

Now excuse me while I return to my tastefully lit, acoustically treated, air conditioned, technically provisioned edit suite.


Support PixelCadabra Via Our Amazon Main Page


Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Jessie Newburn said...

Love your perspective, Dave. And I appreciate how you frame your individual work conditions and community involvement in context of this subject.

Adam Oas said...

I really DO like clean organized space to work in, but it seems to be so hard to keep it that way with some gazillion tapes, scripts, disks cables, remotes, microphones, books plus the regular office stuff like pens & notepads!

I feel like part of the problem for me is a distinct lack of space tho. I've got too much stuff in too small a space.

I am one who needs those other people around me to be more creative, and if I wasn't a regular employee, might really like an idea like this.