Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dogs and Ponies Not Needed

So a long time friend and colleague of mine calls me and invites me to an Important Meeting with a potential new client. Very exciting stuff, could be a nice, steady stream of work for us, a good long-term relationship. "Bring some stuff to show."

Well, no problem, I'll just burn off the most recent copy of the old Pixel Demo Reel! Looking it up on the server, let's see, the most recent one is dated...1996?!? 

Holy crap. Yep, looks like the reel hasn't been meaningfully updated in, oh, about two years. How is this possible? Thinking about it, I realized that I haven't been asked for a reel in a long time. The vast majority of our work is referrals, and for whatever reason we are rarely asked to just send out a demo reel any more. I suppose that's a good thing, that we've reached the point where our reputation and the recommendations we get are good. That, and people check us out via the web.

So, anyway, I gathered up a bunch of stuff to show, projects old and new, many different styles, to cover all of the "Why yes, we've done something just like that, and I happen to have a copy of that job right here..." bases.

And I was never asked to show anything. Not a frame of video, interactive, multimedia, nothing. Of course, had I not gather up all that stuff I surely would have been asked to show all kinds of samples. That's just the way it works.

The meeting went very well, and it looks like there's potential for a lot of fun, collaborative work. 

Support PixelCadabra Via Our Amazon Main Page


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: