Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bad Weather

Stuck at my local Mall, waiting for the office workers to clear the snowy roads so I can make my way home. In the mean time, thanks to my local Apple store, time to post some thoughts on situations where you find yourself in the midst of inclement weather.


Obviously, if you're a shooter you need to be prepared with rain gear for your camera. I've always been a fan of PortaBrace rain covers - They're tough, well made and come with the best warranty possible. You can even send them a bag or rain cover for a cleaning and "tune up" and they'll check it out and make sure it's up to snuff. For free. Keeping your gear dry isn't something you want to fool around with, so it's worth investing in quality rain protection.

Back when we were producing highlights videos and TV shows for the University of Maryland Terps, I spend many an afternoon in the pouring rain, covering football or lacrosse. The PortaBrace covers never let me down.

A few years ago I was hired to do steadicam for the lighting of the national christmas tree in Washington DC. It's a fun, VIP event, with the president and lot of muckity-mucks in attendance. Barbara Eden, TV's Genie, was cohosting, along with country music legend Roy Clark. I was positioned at the front of the stage, and it was my job to lead in Roy Clark, who was dressed as Santa for the big show. It was a beautiful, snowy night, perfect for the planned festivities. 

President Bush makes his entrance and sits, along with the first lady, safely behind their plexiglass shield. Roy Clark makes his entrance from the back of the audience, and I walk in front of him with the steadicam, backpedaling while my cable puller keeps me out of trouble. This is live TV, going out around the world. My big move goes well, and Roy makes his way up on the stage. I reposition myself to grab reaction shots of the crowd. Suddenly, I realize that something's not right. The crowd has that mixture of horror and amusement that washes over when something unexpected has happened.

Turning back toward the stage, I see that Roy Clark's Santa-pants have fallen down around his ankles. Even worse, he doesn't know it, because he's wearing black leggings underneath to keep warm. So he's going on with his act, thinking that the audience is eating up everything he saying ("Gosh, these old jokes are really killing tonight!") but in fact they are laughing at Mr. Clarks presidential performance, being done sans trousers.

Barbara Eden finally ran up and saved him (funny how no one looks at Roy Clark when Barbara Eden is on stage...). But as much as it pains me to admit it, the best moment of the night went to President Bush. He sauntered up to the mic and said, "Looks like Santa could use a new belt for Christmas..."

Gotta love live TV!

Support PixelCadabra Via Our Amazon Main Page

1 comment:

Denée Barr Art News and More said...

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the World of Blogging.

Warm Winter Regards,

Denee Barr
Mixed Media Artist and
Award Winning Singer