Tuesday, January 1, 2008

About PixelCadabra

PixelCadabra reflects my desire to share the things I've learned after nearly twenty years in the motion media production world. I've seen a lot, starting out with tape-to-tape linear editing, early Avids, Video Machine, Media 100 systems, and now Final Cut Pro on the editing side, 3/4" tape, 1" tape, Hi8, Betacam SP, miniDV, DVCPro50, and now HD on the shooting side. I've been a successful steadicam operator, After Effects animator and Photoshop artist. And I've seen the ups and downs of running a small business, dealing with clients of all sizes from all over the world as a co-owner at Pixel Workshop.


The point is, I've lived through many of the most important revolutions in this industry, riding the waves of boom and bust, making a lot of mistakes along the way and, hopefully, picking up some wisdom and good old fashioned common sense. 

My goal is to share the things I wish I had known when I was starting out. I certainly had my share of mentors over the years, and hopefully there are things here that will help you puzzle through some of the challenges you will surely face in this biz. I don't claim to have all the answers, not by a long shot, and there will certainly be times when you may not agree with the things I have to say. And that's fine. Everyone needs to find their own way, create their own business style and figure out what works best for them. Heck, some of you may come here time and time again for good examples of what not to do! 

This is a fun, rewarding, potentially lucrative business if you're willing to hang in there, hone your craft and operate in a professional, ethical manner. 

And that's what PixelCadabra is all about.

Finally, a special shout out to David Hobby from Strobist, who provided the inspiration to make me think long and hard about tackling this endeavor, and continues to offer incredibly valuable advice. He's a class act, and his site is worth your time.

No comments: